Are you keeping a puppy? But do you know the complete and balanced pedigree puppy food? This article will cover some very important things that you need to know about pedigree puppy food, before you choose to feed your puppy with it.
Growing pups are more active and have high metabolic-rates than adult ones. That is why they need more calories and proteins. A well-planned and balanced diet is imperative for their proper development and growth.
Important questions related to Pedigree Puppy Food:
We are here to answer some most frequently asked questions related to pedigree puppy food.
- What is pedigree puppy food?
- Types of pedigree puppy food.
- Is pedigree puppy food good for puppies? or Is pedigree food healthy?
- Can I give pedigree food everyday?
- Which pedigree is best for puppy?
- Does pedigree cause hair loss?
- Does pedigree cause kidney failure?
- Does pedigree cause diarrhea?
- What are the benefits of pedigree?
- How much pedigree puppy food should I feed my puppy?
- What is best Royal canin or pedigree?
- When should I start feeding my puppy pedigree?
- Does pedigree make dogs sick?
- Is pedigree dry food good for puppies?
- Pedigree puppy food ingredients.
- Which is better Pedigree or Purina?
- Pedigree puppy food walmart.
- Pedigree puppy food chart.
- Pedigree puppy food review.
- Pedigree puppy food storage.
1. What is pedigree puppy food?
It is a comprehensive and well-balanced meal-product in proportion to puppies lifestyle or stage of life. It comes in different flavors and has different variations each according to the size, weight and age of pups.
Pedigree food is a subsidiary of American group Mars Inc, that are expert in developing pet foods.
2. Types of pedigree puppy food:
The two basic types of pedigree puppy food are:
- Dry Pedigree puppy food
- Wet Pedigree puppy food
Dry pedigree puppy food:
Dry pedigree food comprises:
- Cereals and grains
- Corn gluten feed
- Fruits and vegetables
- Oils and fats
- Synthetic minerals and vitamins.
This type of food has a longer shelf life and therefore can be kept for a longer period of time. It helps in removing plague and tartar and strengthens the teeth of your canine pal. Dry foods are easy and convenient to carry along and are less messy.
It is further divided into two types. One is for smaller breeds while the other one is for Large breeds (weighting more than 50 pounds).
Larger breed puppies are more vulnerable of developing hip disease if given extravagant amount of calcium in their diet. Therefore always plump for the accurate food pursuant to your puppies age (small or large breed).
Wet pedigree puppy food:
This on the other side comprises of meat ingredients and gravy which is a source of protein, minerals, vitamins and grains. It is then cooked and sterilized and that is why it is called “wet pedigree food”.
This type of food has more moisture ratio therefore keeps your pup hydrated.
Dry Vs Wet pedigree puppy food?
Wet pedigree puppy food is relatively a better choice than dry pedigree food. Carbohydrates are strenuous to digest and wet pedigree food have relatively less amount of carbohydrates and have more moisture to keep them hydrated.
Dry on the other hand aids in developing chewing skills which strengthens their teeth and shields them from plagues and tartar. It also has high ratio of fibers that is goof many gastrointestinal problems like chronic diarrhea.
3. Is pedigree puppy food good for puppies? or Is pedigree food healthy?
Yes! it is healthy and has a balanced proportion of all ingredients quintessential for your pups. But if given long terms, it can cause serious disorders like kidney or liver problems.
It is not a wholesome preference as the first thing it has is corn that is a filler and stodgy for baby-pups. The second niggling thing is poultry by-product which emanate from slaughterhouse in dried form. The third knotty thing is corn gluten meal that has a rubbery texture.
Always consult any professional veterinary for your hound if you need assistance.
4. Can I give pedigree food everyday?
Yes! you can feed your furry friend with this food daily. But the exact amount fluctuates according to their size, breed, weight, age and their activity level.
Puppies need more calories than adults because of high metabolic rates. So, each product has a proper schedule mentioned on their packaging or ask any experienced veterinary for assistance.
5. Which pedigree is best for puppy?
Wet pedigree food is preferable as it has less amount of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not easily digestible by pups and consequently wet pedigree is a splendid pick by most of the puppy-owners. Furthermore it has high moisture ratio which keeps them hydrated.
Some people suggest an amalgamation of both dry and wet also referred as “mixed feed”. This facilitates the baby-dog to relish the nutrients of both and it helps them develop better taste, it also succors in preserving healthier urinary tract and good teeth.
6. Does pedigree cause hair loss?
The answer is No. Hair loss is normal in puppies but if you notice an abnormal hair loss among puppies then it might be because of few other reasons like:
- Poor nutrition.
- Food allergy ( proteins from dairy products, chicken eggs, chicken, lamb, beef, gluten from wheat, soy or corn).
- Parasites, fleas, mites or worms.
- Kidney disorder.
Book an appointment with your veterinary doctor if you observe bald patches or superfluous hair fall in your pup.
7. Does pedigree cause kidney failure?
No, it does not cause kidney failure if not given for a long period of time.
Kidney or Renal problems in puppies chiefly occur either because
- Your puppy has ingested a toxin or any chemical like household cleaners, any anti-freeze etc.
- Because of any infections in urinary tract.
- Less flow of oxygen or blood to the kidneys.
8. Does pedigree cause diarrhea?
No, it does not cause diarrhea normally. The most common causes of diarrhea among puppies are:
- Bacterial infections.
- Switching your puppy’s diet.
- Organ disease.
If you are still in doubt about the food you are feeding your puppy, make a visit to any veterinary and discuss.
9. What are the benefits of pedigree?
Both dry and wet pedigree food have different health benefits for pups.
Dry pedigree food meliorates:
- Oral health.
- is full of energy and nutrition.
- Is economical.
Wet pedigree food is:
- Crammed with moisture that supports good digestion and healthy urinary tract in puppies.
- a rich source of proteins.
- Contains less calories per gram.
10. How much pedigree puppy food should I feed my puppy?
Pedigree puppy food must be given according to the weight, age , size and breed of puppies. Since small puppies are more active and they have high growth rate, therefore they need more energy but they also have smaller stomachs.
Completely dry food is significant for adult dogs of age above 4 weeks. For baby pups, it should be mixed with any liquid. To feed them, here is the chart:
- For dogs weighing 1 – 5.5 kg: 3 ounces of wet food, mixed with about ¾ cup of dry food.
- For dogs weighing 5.6 – 9 kg: 3 ounces of wet food, mixed with about ¾ – 1 cup of dry food.
- For dogs weighing 9 – 11 kg: 3 ounces of wet food, mixed with about 1- 1¾ cups of dry food.
- For dogs weighing 11 – 23 kg: 6 ounces of wet food, mixed with about 1½ – 2 cups of dry food.
- For dogs weighing 23 – 34 kg: 6 ounces of wet food, mixed with about 2 – 3 cups of dry food.
- For dogs weighing more than 34 kg: 6 ounces of wet food, mixed with about 2½ – 3 cups of dry food.
Wet-pedigree food should be given 3 ounces for every 1-1.5 kg weight of the puppy.
11. What is best Royal canin or pedigree?
Pedigree is undeniably a front runner! The crude fiber ratio in pedigree is 2.8% while in later is 1.3%. Crude-fiber is imperative because it maintains gastro-intestinal health of your whelp.
- An excellent choice for all puppies with respect to size, age and weight.
- economical and anyone can afford it for his/her puppy.
Royal canin on the other hand is:
- Breed specific.
- a tailored nutrition according to the specific breeds of dogs/puppies or planned to resolve health issues of puppies.
- quite expensive and not everyone can afford it for his/her pet.
12. When should I start feeding my puppy pedigree?
At the age of 3-4 weeks, you can start feeding your whelp pedigree food by adding some milk or warm water to prepare a sloppy mixture for your pup to make it palatable and jam-packed with energy.
13. Does pedigree make dogs sick?
No, it does not make dogs sick. It is infact good for puppies. But can have adverse effects if regularly given for a longer period of time.
It consists of corn which is a filler and can agitate your puppies stomach. It also comprises of poultry-by-product meal, that is a dried item from slaughter house. The third item is corn gluten meal that is a rubbery stuff not easily digestible by pups.
14. Is pedigree dry food good for puppies?
It is not a great option for pups as it has a higher ratio of carbohydrates and less moisture that they can’t easily digest.
To make it palatable, prepare a sloppy mixture by adding water or milk to it. You can also prepare a mixed-feed by mixing dry and wet-pedigree-food. Refer to this website for comprehensive details.
15. Pedigree puppy food ingredients
The core constituents are:
- Ground whole corn, which is a source of energy and lean muscles. It is rich in:
- Essential amino acids
- Carbohydrate source
- Linoleic acid and fiber
- Animal fat, which aids in healthy skin and coat, imparts energy and is a source of:
- Linoleic acid
- Beet pulp, which lends a hand in digestion and contains:
- Soluble fiber
- Ground whole wheat, which facilitates fiber and energy and has:
- Meat and bone meal, which aids in muscle leaning and strong bones & teeth.They have:
- Concentrated essential amino acids
- Calcium & Phosphorus
- Vegetable oil, which is a source of:
- Linoleic acid for a healthier skin and glossy coat.
- Brewers rice, which provides:
- Carbohydrates & fiber which supply energy and aid proper digestion.
- Corn and Gluten meal, which helps in maintaining, repairing and building immune system and tissues & develops healthy skin and coat. They have:
- Antioxidants, Linoleic acid
- Concentrated essential amino acids.
It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals like Potassium iodide, folic acid, mono-calcium phosphate, potassium chloride and D-Calcium Panthothenate.
16. Which is better Pedigree or Purina?
Purina is a healthier choice than Pedigree because it has more fats and proteins and includes ample amount of fruits and vegetables which boosts up mineral and vitamins ratio.
Pedigree is a budget-friendly food which hinges on many controversial ingredients like animal plasma, meat and some poultry derivatives (by-products) that incorporate grounded organs and bones. Although they impart balanced diet but the fillers like corn make it intricate for puppies to digest.
Purina is known for years. It has variety of items for consumption and specialized diets for your canine animal. Their formula incorporates plenty of fruits and veges making it resplendent with vitamins and minerals. There is an excellent sense of balance between proteins and fats in Purina.
Like pedigree, Purina also ropes in some fillers like corn and wheat and some animal by-products in some of their recipes.
But pedigree employs more controversial items than Purina. So Purina wins!
17. Pedigree puppy food walmart:
Walmart Inc. is an American multinational retail corporation. It is one of the best choices for pet lovers to buy their pet’s food. To buy pedigree puppy food from walmart, you can visit their official website and order directly.
18. Pedigree puppy food Chart:
Pedigree food should be given according to the size, weight and age of puppies. Follow the following chart or consult any expert veterinary for assistance.
19. Pedigree puppy food review:
The top websites like amazon.com and chewy.com illustrate 4 out of 5 ratings for pedigree puppy food, while other authentic sites like Dog Food Insider and Dog Food Advisor state fewer ratings of 1 and 2. Pedigree has mixed reviews everywhere. Some are positive while others are negative too. Pedigree food has been in all the rage for years. Different websites have different reviews regarding this food.
The positive reviews state that these are easily available everywhere and cost-effective. While the negative ones point out the presence of corn, poultry byproduct from slaughter house and gluten.
20. Pedigree puppy food storage:
Always store the dry pedigree food in air tight containers made of plastic, glass or metal. It is better to keep them in their original bag while storing in air-tight containers as it shields the food that has fat barrier.
To store opened cans of wet pedigree food, refrigerate it with plastic pet-food can lid designed to fit the top of can. If it is not accessible, then minimally store it in zip-seal bags or use plastic wrap to keep it moist.
Pedigree puppy food is a good amalgamation of nutrients that go very well to meet the growth need of your pup. But since it is a processed form of food and has chemicals and additives , so it has adverse effect on the health of pups.
The first thing is corn that is a filler and become reason of allergies in some pup. Too much grains like corn gluten-meal, soybean and ground whole wheat which produce more gas and waste. Too much artificial colors and dyes can have unfavorable affects on your hairy-friend.
In a nutshell you can say that this ubiquitous and popular food is the topmost food that you should be dishing out your puppy. So according to a research the puppies who rely on fresh food or lightly processed food have a longer life than those relying on ultra-processed items.
So, the ideal diet for a puppy is a fresh balanced diet!